What Do I Do If I Lose My Green Card?

As an immigrant, having a green card is essential because it grants you the right to live and work in the United States. However, losing your green card can be stressful and overwhelming. The good news is there are steps you can take to replace it. In this blog post, we will guide you through what to do if you lose your green card and the steps to take to get it replaced as soon as possible.

Report Your Lost or Stolen Green Card

The first and most important thing to do if you lose your green card is to report it immediately to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You can do this by filing a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. This form can be filed online or in person at your local USCIS office. Reporting the loss of your green card is important because it prevents anyone from using it fraudulently.

Gather Your Necessary Documents

Once you have reported the loss of your green card, the next step is to gather the necessary documents to apply for a replacement. These documents include a copy of the police report (if applicable), a government-issued identification document (passport, driver's license), and proof of your green card status (such as a copy of your previous green card).

Fill Out an Application for a Replacement

The next step is to fill out the Form I-90 to apply for a replacement of your green card. This form can be filled out online or in person at your local USCIS office. You will need to provide personal information, your green card number (if available), and the reason for replacing your green card (lost or stolen).

Pay the Fee

There is a fee associated with replacing a lost or stolen green card. As of 2023, the fee is $455. You can pay the fee online when filing the Form I-90 or in person at your local USCIS office.

Await the Decision

Once you have filed the Form I-90 and paid the fee, you will need to await a decision from USCIS. If your application is approved, USCIS will mail you a new green card. The processing time can vary, but it typically takes between 7-10 months. In the meantime, USCIS will provide you with a temporary stamp on your passport to prove your immigration status.

A Lawyer Can Help You with This Process

Losing your green card can be stressful, but it is important to take action as soon as possible. Reporting the loss of your green card to USCIS and following the steps outlined above will ensure that you get a replacement as soon as possible. Remember to keep your green card in a safe place to prevent it from being lost or stolen again in the future.

Hiring an immigration lawyer to help you with this process can provide you with the best possible chances for success. Although you may be able to handle it all on your own, a legal professional knows the ins and outs of immigration law and can provide personalized support that can protect your right to live and work in the U.S.

Contact Rodriguez & Gimbert, P.L.L.C. today for the legal assistance you need.